Monday, October 15, 2007

Week 7 Wikis

Well, I just finished learning about Wikis and viewing several different ways in which libraries are using Wikis. I saw them being used to create subject guides, lists of book reviews, to organize best practices tips for library professionals. One Wiki that I view the most often, since I am a youth services librarian, is YALSA's. I find it helpful for Teen Read Week and for good web site recommendations.

Many of the individual branch libraries of SDCL are creating blogs to promote library programs and events. I would like to create one for our library, but am not sure which is better, a blog or a wiki. I guess with either one library staff would have to monitor it for spam. I will have to play around with Wikis more before choosing one over the other. To me, neither format is as seamless as a well put together Web site. Our challenge is not having a server available at the branch level.

No comments: